[Accessibility] Mission Statement Revision Draft #6

Janina Sajka janina at a11y.org
Tue May 1 08:38:23 PDT 2007

This sixth draft reflects Olaf's proposed addition as discussed during
our April 18 teleconference.

You will recall we need a revised statement to identify our FSG legacy
and our current Open A11y identity.

/begin proposed Mission Statement
Proposed Mision Statement (Draft #6
May 1, 2007

First chartered in 2004 as the Free Standards Group Accessibility
Workgroup (FSGA), the Open A11y group functions today within the Linux
Foundation to establish free and open standards that enable
comprehensive universal access to various computing platforms,
applications, and services. Open A11y makes it easier for developers,
ISVs, and distributions to support assistive technologies (AT).
Assistive technologies enable individuals to

[Revised Suggested Addition:] make full use of computer-based technology
despite vicissitudes in physical or sensory abilities due to illness, aging or
disability.

For example, AT enable individuals who are blind or visually impaired to read
online text, and provide the means for individuals who do not have the use of
their arms and hands to write and correspond. AT also enable individuals who
cannot speak or hear to participate on the telephony interfaces of today --
and will support their participation on the multimodal computer interfaces of
tomorrow.

/end proposed Mission Statement

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina at a11y.org

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina at a11y.org